Nothing like ringing in the New Year with a new job. Today was my last shift working for the Sharpsville Police Department. A rather anti-climactic end to a 7-year chapter of our lives that I thought may have been my career department.
In March 2010 at a regular department meeting, the officers were casually informed by the Mayor (who does not support the PD) that the police department is one vote away from disbanding. Sharpsville's 7 member council could merely vote, fold the department and contract services from near by towns. The idea wasn't based on the towns best interest but on the personal agendas of bar-owning council members who thought that our arrests were destroying their patronage. Months and months past by, studies were done and offers were made to take over the police department. In the end, we were able to raise enough awareness about the deceit that was going on and the public overflowed a council meeting in support of the police department. A motion was made to terminate talks with other departments and the Sharpsville PD survived. This was the second time this happened since I've been there. Things were a little different this last time. We have a clause in our contract that stated (in a nutshell) that if a merger took place, our jobs would have to be negotiated as part of the deal. Apparently, there is a way out of that and a big lesson was learned. Because Erin and I really felt that trust could never be restored, we decided to look for a new job.
A new job in police work isn't anything thing like most other jobs. It is usually a 4-6 month process of multiple stages of testing and interviewing. In April 2010, the Grove City Police Department ran an ad for a police position. This was one of only two departments that I was willing to work for in our area, so the process started. After finding out about the position in March, I took a written exam in April. I found out that day that I passed and had to go back that same day to take a physical agility test: 1 1/2 mile run in under 12 min 30 sec, 300 yard sprint in under 60 sec, bench press my weight and do 35 sit ups in 60 sec. I passed everything and at the end of the day the starting number of applicants was cut in half. I was then scheduled for an interview in May. I felt good about it, but ended up waiting over a month to finally get a letter in the mail with my score. The written score is combined with the interview score and an eligibility list is established. I was FIRST! We got the letter when we came home from our summer vacation to Clearwater, Florida. It was great news!
This didn't mean I had a job though, it only meant that when they actually had a position, I would be the first person the Chief contacted to proceed with the remainder of the testing. I sat on this list from June through October and didn't hear a word. Of course I heard a lot through the grapevine, but nothing reliable. It was a long wait. But then, I was finally contacted and told that they will have a position soon and they were going to proceed with the testing. First off, a background check; criminal, financial, references and everything in between including surprise visits to my neighbors to see what I am really like. Maybe all the years of snow plowing their driveways paid off...Ha!
In November, I began the last stage; A medical test which included everything from hearing tests, eye tests, a drug screen and everything in between. Then in December, I had to take a psychological exam. It was 567 questions of modern day mental torture. At least, I am not crazy because I was starting to feel that way at the end of the test. Finally, a follow up interview with a psychologist.
This whole process lasted 8 months and now I finally have a new job. There was a lot of drama and anxiety mixed in with all this, but it would be too much to write. I finished my last shift today, have 3 court hearings Wednesday and finally DARE graduation on Friday. I am on vacation all week and will start at Grove City Sunday, January 9th.
Thank You God for getting us through this. It's been a crazy year and once again, You didn't let us down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow! Congratulations, Matt! What a provision from God at just the exact right time! I'm so happy for both you and Erin. We'll be praying for you as you start your new job next week. What will your hours be like?
ReplyDeleteGod always sees you through the difficult and challenging times - and He answers prayer.
ReplyDelete