Yesterday evening after Emily went to bed for the night Matt and I were sitting in the family room and Logan was playing with his toys. His truck "Mac" (from the movie "Cars")was sitting right in front of the end table and he thought that it would be fun to stand on it so that he was taller and could see better (I am assuming. You never know what really goes through a 3 yo's mind). He was holding onto the end table and all of a sudden Mac gave way and Logan slammed his lip right into the straight edge of the table.
He immediately started crying and bleeding. Matt grabbed a paper towel so that we could apply pressure to stop the bleeding. When the bleeding started to slow down we assessed the damage. He split his left upper lip right above the pink part of the lip. (Not sure of the correct anatomical name...hehe) It was a little over 1/4in long and pretty deep, so we decided to take him over the Akron Children's Hospital to have him looked at.
We called several friends to come sit at the house while Emily slept, but no one answered, so my mom came up to sit with Emily. Matt and I took him over and he got right in.
The nurse practitioner looked at him and thought the suture tech should come and assess if he thought Logan would need stitches. I had never heard of a suture tech before, but I guess all they do all day long is suture children's wounds. When he looked at Logan he felt that he would definitely need stitches.
What happened next was not very fun at all. We waited for awhile and then they came in to stitch him up. By this time it was after 10pm and Logan was crying when anyone would walk into the room. He would keep saying, "I'm all done. I'm all done!" They started by immobilizing him using a "huggie board". This was the worst part for Logan and for Matt and I because Logan did not understand what was going on and was screaming throughout the entire procedure. They were able to keep his lip fairly still so that they could sew it up. Poor Logan even resorted to being as polite as he could be in order to try to get out of the restraint. He kept screaming, "Please may I get out of here!!!" It was SO sad.
Finally, they were done and they unstrapped him. His face was red and his hair was wet from sweat and water, but he was finally done. He thanked everyone for "helping my lip get fixed." He was so sweet.
After we left the hospital he got his beloved bunny and a chocolate frosty from Wendy's. He was so happy to go home after a very traumatic experience.
He has been great today. He has just had some swelling that has gone down throughout the day. It has been tough trying to keep a 3 yo from running around and bumping his face into the couch or floor or dog or sister (you get the picture), but he is doing really well.
We, unfortunately, have to go back on Monday to get the stitches out. I do not know what that entails, but hopefully it is not as bad as the first experience. And I thought that a broken leg was bad. This experience was MUCH worse, but we got through it. Hopefully it will be our last, but then again he did only just turn 3. He was a VERY brave little boy!
Just before we went to the ER

Oh poor baby!!! I feel so bad for him. Getting the stitches out shouldn't be bad...couple little snips and it should only tickle. See if they will soak the stitches first to soften them up so they don't stick. When Kellen bonked his head the first time, my dad went with me (I was up at their house). After the ordeal (Kellen didn't need stitches THAT time) PopPop took Kellen for a McDonald's shake. Now anytime someone goes in for an injury they get a shake afterwards....so way to go on the Wendy's frosty.
ReplyDeleteWe will pray it heals well.
So sweet of Logan to be so polite during that whole experience. You're doing a great job as parents! We praying for Logan's quick recovery.
ReplyDeleteOh no! This makes me so sad just reading it! I'm so sorry you all had to go through this - especially the strapping him down part - UG! I'm so glad it's over and hopefully the next visit will be quick and easy. Logan is so brave! (And so are Mommy and Daddy!)
ReplyDeletepoor logan---that is awful to experience that even though you know they have to do it to help them. i hope it heals quickly and removing them is less painful for him and you!
ReplyDelete