We talked for a few weeks about the dentist and that he would clean and count his teeth. We practiced opening his mouth wide and letting the dentist look around. He did great and was really excited to go.
Matt stayed with Emily while I took him. He was really excited to pick out a "red" toothbrush. I don't know why "red," but that is what he wanted. As soon as we walked into the lobby he started to get pretty nervous and when the hygienist came to get us his lower lip came out and he started crying a bit. I even got a little teary. :)
We got back to the chair and the hygienist was very nice and gentle with him, but he did not care. He was afraid and that was all there was to it. I sat with him in the chair and brought Dog-Dog for him to hold. He cried most of the time, but they were at least able to see in his mouth. She cleaned and flossed his teeth and then the dentist, Dr. Jackson, came in to check for cavities. He was also very gentle with Logan and had a very calming voice. It did not phase him a bit that Logan was screaming in his face...poor kid. He did find one very small cavity in his upper left molar, which he said was not our fault. I guess he has very deep narrow grooves in his teeth (he called it something technical, but I don't remember the term) and it will be very hard to get the plaque out if it starts forming in there. It is just how his teeth are shaped. The cavity is very insignificant at this time, so they are just going to watch it and check it in 6 months. When they fix it, he said that it will be a 5 minute procedure and he will not even need to be numb. He will need to have his permanent teeth sealed when they come in to prevent cavities from forming in them.
SO, after the appointment the Dr. took time to talk with Logan about his stickers, his shoes and being a big brother. By the way, he did start to calm down some by the end of the appointment. We left with 3 stickers, a red toothbrush and a little blue car. Logan was glad to get out of there and the dentist felt that he would not get as upset in 6 months, so here is to hoping that he is right. As soon as we left the office Logan liked the dentist again. Then, off we went on a Logi-Mommy date to Einstein's Bagels and he played with his car and toothbrush for the rest of the day.
On our way to the dentist's office
Feeling a little apprehensive in the lobby
He did not want me to take a picture of him in the dentist's chair, so we went outside by the sign where the sun was a little bright for his eyes.

Aww, too bad we can't tell the kids that adults don't like the dentist either. :) I felt nuts for taking Carter at 1 year and he wasn't a fan either, but I'm praying that he hopefully won't be too scared when we go back again. I laugh when I think about how they think they're going to floss his teeth. Yeah right. ha! :)
ReplyDelete